The Bible on Divorce
The pain of divorce was never part of God’s plan for marriage. But human beings are not perfect, and so God has made allowances for a situation in which the partners cannot or will not live together.
The Bible on Divorce
- Divorce was not part of God’s design in Malachi 2:15-16.
- Due to people’s hard hearts, the Law of Moses made allowance for divorce Deuteronomy 24:1-4; Matthew 19:7-8; Mark 10:2-5.
- Jesus Condemned divorce Matthew 5:31-32; 19:9; Mark 10:11-12, Luke 16:18.
- Jesus made allowance for divorce in cases of unfaithfulness Matthew 5:32; 19:9.
- The apostle Paul condemned divorce 1 Corinthians 7:10-11.
- Paul made allowance for divorce when an unbeliever abandons a believing spouse 1 Corinthians 7:15-16.
Conversation Between Mom And Her Young Daughter on Divorce
Today when Ijeoma Ibe and her ten-year-old daughter, Tracy, were out running errands, the following conversation took place somewhere between the grocery store and the dry cleaners.
“Are you and Dad going to get a divorce?”
“Tracy Ibe for heaven’s sake, no! Why in the world would you think that?”
“I dunno. Ashley’s parents did.”
“Do you mean divorced or separated?”
“Yesterday, I think.”
“I can’t believe that! That’s awful!”
“Yeah, Ashley said she and Precious might have to move away in few weeks.”
Ijeoma shook her head in disbelief as she and her daughter waited for the light to change.
After several moments of silence, Tracy spoke again. “Mom?”
“Could divorce ever be a good thing? I mean, what if somebody married the wrong person? Or what if people fall out of love with each other? Or what if they change and they aren’t nice to each other anymore?”
“Tracy, a lot of couples get divorced. And many of them say that divorce is a good thing. But I doubt your friend Ashley feels that way, and I don’t feel that way either.
I think just the opposite. I think divorce is a terrible, destructive thing. I think marriage is a good thing, that is when it is done God’s way.
“Tracy, sometimes marriage is tough. Every couple goes through hard times. Your dad and I have certainly had our struggles. But like I said, marriage is a good thing even a great thing!
The fifteen years I have had with your dad have been without question the most fulfilling, most joyful years of you my life.”
Despite the fact that most couples vow to stay together “till death do us part,” divorce is still a common occurrence in our society. See how God feels about it in Malachi 2:13-16.